Will My Plants Harm My Pets?
On a daily basis, loving pet parents ask us, “Is this plant toxic?” Please rest assured, your houseplant will not be the demise of “Buddy.” While there are certainly adverse effects from ingesting plants, your pet would have to consume vast quantities to warrant a trip to your veterinarian.
Pets are most attracted to plants which resemble grasses. The slender leaves of the Dracaena marginata and various palms are both toys and teethers.
The best way to make sure your pet stays healthy and safe is to merely remove or avoid such enticing temptations. While Ginger enjoys the ponytail palm, it’s best for everyone to just feature the plant up high, and all will thrive.
If your pet simply has to taste test everything, there are certainly plants which are inherently more noxious than others and could be avoided. Calcium oxolate is a common irritant found in dieffenbachias, poinsettias, and ZZs (Zamioculcas Zamifolia). While philodendrons, dracaenas, anthuriums, and Chinese evergreens may be listed as toxic, the deleterious effects are not long-lasting.
Symptoms of overindulging are generally limited to stomach distress and perhaps some foaming at the mouth. Typical treatment is simply rinsing your pet’s mouth with water or milk. Symptoms generally pass within twenty four hours. A veterinarian of twenty five years confirms- they've never seen a case of fatality as a result of a pet eating plants.